How many of you know of a friend or colleague that has had problems choosing which web development team to go with? As website development is a large part of our company, we visit competitor websites frequently to make sure we are at the top of our game. I’m amazed at what I see!
The best way to familiarize yourself with a web designer is to spend time at their own business website. As you review the work of a web design company, ask yourself:
- Do their links work throughout their own site?
- Are the graphical images and photos they’re using in focus and in color?
- Is the idea behind their web design original or does it look like a template?
- Can you view the web designer’s portfolio?
- Do they come up in Google if you enter a search: ex – Plano Website Design – are they TOP TEN in Google? Or, at least on the first two pages of Google? If they cannot be found with a basic search relative to their content, then your website will never be found either!
- Marketing skills…you certainly want to make sure your web designer has those skills!
I’ve seen many web developers at networking meetings, and throughout other community events. Don’t get me wrong…they are really nice people. However, if you have broken links on every page, then maybe a different occupation is in order! Don’t be afraid of the process of working with a website company. There are some great ones out there. Just make sure their own site functions properly, and looks like they know a bit or two about branding!